6/14/2005

On Being "that" Family...

You know the ones. They are always there when you fly. You've been in your seat for what seems like an hour, your seatblet is buckled and the tray table is in its "upright and locked" position, everyone is quiet (except the "professional" in seat 8C) and waiting for the flight to depart...

...and then, out of nowhere you hear some frantic muffled voices and the sound of something big and blunt banging the aisle seats. You know you shouldn't look up, but like a watching a wreck you really have no choice. Your eyes wander to the aisle and up, up, up toward where the front where "that" family is making their way toward you. One car seat, maybe two, carry on baggage and children making mom and dad look like pack animals, ticket stubs scattering like leaves.

If you're lucky they pass by you and drift away, forgotten until the next flight...but if you are the chosen one....

...my apologies. Believe it or not, we did the best we could.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, so true. My wife, daughter and I are flying home for Thanksgiving and I'm worried about such a scenario for us.

My daughter is now old enough she can't sit still, her attention span keeps getting less and less with age, and will probably be running up and down the airplane isle either annoying or wooing (hopefully this one) the passagers with her personality.

Teevio said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
bill said...

And I left out the "look I can crawl over the seat into the row BEHIND us" ability of my 20 month old, and the "why is daddy mad I dumped his Ginger Ale into his sock" episode.

So now we have another trip planned. What was I thinking?!